The Griffith Library's specialized collections are an integral part of Sackler Library, which embraces the wider discipline of Old World archaeology and ancient history; and maintains historical continuity by acquiring publications in the fields of Papyrology, the Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine East and Graeco-Roman Egypt.
The Griffith Library contains 30,000 titles
dedicated to Egyptology, Coptic and Ancient Near Eastern Studies. The nucleus
of the Egyptology Collection, described in the 1995 edition of Who was Who
in Egyptology as "the finest one in existence", was formed by
Francis Llewellyn Griffith and bequeathed to the University of Oxford in 1938.
Since that date, Griffith's endowment has been used to keep this collection
The Griffith Library was further enhanced in 1944 with the acquisition of the library of Walter Ewing Crum, one of the foremost Coptologist of his time. It forms the core of an expanding collection that focuses on the language, literature and material culture of the Copts.
The Ancient Near Eastern Collection has been developed and expanded principally from the bequests of Griffith and his contemporary, Professor Archibald Henry Sayce (1845- 1933), and includes material donated by Sir Alan Henderson Gardiner (1879-1963). It focuses on the archaeology of the Middle East and cuneiform languages.
(March 21, 2001)