28 Doorway of Sepulchral Hall - Plaster on surface of
The plaster gave the following results on analysis :-
Sand and insoluble silicates 10.8%
Hydrated sulphate of lime (gypsum) 78.2
Oxides of iron and aluminium 5.0
Carbonate of lime etc (by difference) 6.0 (1)
(1) Contains a little unburnt fuel.
The material is a crude natural Egyptian gypsum: it is similar in
composition to the plaster of the first doorway, the second doorway and the
doorway of the annexe.
From Kew Report (Newberry): See Memoranda. Partition Wall. Beams.
(1) Date Palm Phoenix dactylifera L
(2) Pine, either Pinus laricio or P. halepensis
(3) A very hard & close-grained wood, probably of a species of
Dalbergia from the Sudan.
(2) Must have been imported from Syria, or the coast of Asia Minor.
See also Nos. 4, 13 and 171. A. Lucas